Find out how our Reputation experts can assist, whenever and wherever the problem arises. Read the video transcript.
Reputation Management News from Out-Law.com
The BBC has successfully defended a claim that it defamed a London imam before the High Court in London.
An aircraft charter company has recorded a “pyrrhic victory” in winning £10 in damages for defamatory comments made about the health of its finances by a rival aviation business, an expert has said.
Courts in England have given further guidance on when statements can be said to have caused or be likely to cause ‘serious harm’ under defamation laws, an expert has said.
A new ruling by the Court of Appeal in London highlights how the reporting of stories in other countries and the dissemination of those stories online can serve to undermine the case for privacy injunctions against publishers in the UK, an expert has said.
Claims made in headlines in British newspapers, magazines or online publications must be reflected in the text of the article to which those headlines relate under revisions to an industry code set to come into effect from the beginning of 2016.
A change in the law that makes it more challenging to prove defamation in England and Wales is just one reason why the number of defamation cases brought in the UK fell last year, according to a media law expert.07 Jun 2017
ANALYSIS: A ruling by the High Court in London last month highlights the special rules that publishers can rely on under UK data protection law to defeat claims that they have processed personal data unlawfully. 08 Mar 2017
Supreme Court judges have prohibited publishers in England and Wales from disclosing the identity of a male celebrity who reportedly engaged in an extra-marital sexual encounter with two other people, despite details of the scandal being widely available on the internet.
A judge’s decision in a libel trial in Northern Ireland reinforces the fact that the country is the most “claimant friendly” in the UK for bringing defamation claims, experts have said.
News from Out-Law.com
- The latest fine issued by the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) against TalkTalk should be seen as a warning to businesses of all sizes to keep their IT systems up to date, an expert has said.15 Aug 2017
Data sharing in travel sector could spur new liabilities for businesses under new UK package holiday lawsAirline operators that help smooth the process of booking other travel services, such as hotels or car hire, by sharing customer payment data with those businesses could be held liable for ensuring those services are delivered, under new proposals set out by the UK government.14 Aug 2017
- Businesses that are responsible for "minor infringements" of new EU data protection laws shortly after they come into effect will not be made an example of, the UK's information commissioner has said.14 Aug 2017
- The planned £11.7 billion acquisition of Sky plc by 21st Century Fox is now expected to close in the first half of next year, according to Fox chief executive James Murdoch.10 Aug 2017
- Germany's main consumer protection body, the Federation of German Consumer Organisations (VZBV), plans to take O2 Deutschland to court over its approach to roaming charges.10 Aug 2017
- UK operators of 'essential services' such as energy, health, transport or water could face fines of up to £17 million if they fail to protect themselves from cyber attacks, the government has announced.9 Aug 2017
- The South African-based Vodacom Group has finalised its acquisition of a 35% stake in Kenya's biggest telecoms firm, Safaricom.8 Aug 2017
- Alibaba founder Jack Ma has confirmed plans to support young African entrepreneurs in projects to spread the development of e-commerce, internet technology and artificial intelligence on the continent.8 Aug 2017
- The UK government has announced more details behind its upcoming Data Protection Bill, which will transpose into domestic law the European Union's (EU) General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).7 Aug 2017
- The UK government has issued new guidelines aimed at improving cyber protection for smart and driverless vehicles, ahead of planned legislation for the emerging industry.7 Aug 2017